South African Parliament fire allegedly started by boxes, paper and petrol

The South African Parliament fire that ravaged official buildings last month was allegedly started by boxes, paper and petrol.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) of South Africa has revealed the suspect “purchased petrol in a bottle, made his way to Parliament, using stealth, broke into Parliament and after spending some time in Parliament, used boxes, paper and the petrol to set parliament alight causing devastating damage to the facility.”

Zandile Christmas Mafe is currently awaiting court proceedings after being arrested for the crime. His legal representatives applied for bail at Cape Town Regional Court, which was subsequently denied.

The 49-year-old, who is charged with housebreaking with intent to commit terrorism and arson, terrorism, arson and theft, could face life imprisonment if convicted.

The parliament fire began in the morning on January 2nd, and lasted for nearly three days. The damage devastated the building of the National Assembly (NA), the lower house, and completely burned down the NA chamber. It also caused extensive damage to the century-old Old Assembly building that houses the National Council of Provinces, the upper house.

The fire has forced the parliament to move its flagship program, the State of the Nation Address, from the NA chamber to the historic City Hall of Cape Town.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.